[mythtv-users] Best way to Send Video via DVI

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Mon Dec 24 03:35:11 UTC 2007

George Mari wrote:
> Nathan A. Smith wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to tweek my mythbox to get 2 problems solved....
>>

> [deleted]
>

>> 2. While all the tv shows (both HD & SD) display pretty close to correct
>> -- I can't get any other screen to fill my Mitushbishi TV fully.  This
>> is partially the TV's fault, to see the problem see this pdf file (page
>> 78).
>>
>> http://download.jazel.net/misc/filecache/0b/0b6d644186a1fc48fe0f8d84d3ad4b36_V33(631-731)%20OG.pdf
>>
>> Does anyone know how to over come that?
>>

> [deleted]
>
> You may want to try a DVI-to-HDMI adapter if you do not get satisfactory
> results with your DVI input.  I don't have your model TV, but I do have
> a Mitsubishi LCD panel, and says the same thing in my manual as in yours
> - don't connect a computer to the HDMI input.  I tried it anyway, for a
> while, and it worked just fine - TV did not blow up, etc.  It did
> overscan the image a bit, so the edges of the MythTV menus were off the
> screen on all 4 sides, but it was certainly usable.  This may fill the
> screen in your case, with your particular TV.
>
> I switched it back to DVI after a few days, though, as the HDMI input
> did not produce improved interlaced output as I was hoping.

DVI -> HDMI is probably the safest method to choose to display on the
TV.  HDMI, Component, Composite, and S-Video are all locked to TV
standard signals, whereas the PC inputs on TV's (DVI, VGA) are not
locked to those standard signals.

In other words, using the DVI or VGA input on a TV will make the TV
think and act like a computer monitor, whereas the other inputs will
make the TV think and act like a TV display.

Many people use the VGA and DVI inputs on the TVs to try to lessen or
eliminate overscan (which, BTW, is present in all broadcast video
signals).  In your case, I would try the DVI->HDMI cable first, and,
once you get that working, go back to DVI->DVI if you feel the need to.

Once you have the DVI->HDMI cable in place, check out the wiki
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/ComponentOut) for details in
getting X set up properly.

Oh, and make sure you turn on the de-interlacing (Bob 2x framerate).
You don't need to enable XvMC just yet, but you will want to do it once
you get the other items out of the way.. XvMC will reduce the CPU usage
significantly.

-Rich