[mythtv-users] experience with ASUS M2NPV-VM component video?

Dale d-larson at wi.rr.com
Sat Dec 22 20:49:19 UTC 2007

Hi,

>Anyone have experience with the ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard, which comes
>with component out video?  I'm looking for others' experiences using the
>component video out with Myth in both SD and HD.
>
>http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1138&l1=3&l2=101&l3=296
>
>I thought I'd just upgrade my motherboard rather than buying a
>vga-to-component converter.

I'm using this motherboard along with its component and SPDIF optical
outputs. My system specs are given below. For the most part everything is
running well. A few issues though...

I had to substantially reduce the overscan of my TV using its service menu.
I had to reduce the MythTV graphics screen size a bit to fit the various
MythTV UI menus. This causes it to rescale my video playback to be the
same. I wish it would use different settings with it's playing video and
showing the menus.

I have an issue with 1080i HD playback. I get a tear point at about 1/7
from the top of the screen when substantial horizontal motion occurs. My HD
playback only looks good when I turn on kernel deinterlacing and use OpenGL
sync. When I'm in this mode I always get the 1/7th tear thing. DVD ISO's
files playback quite nicely with no issues. (Maybe one day MythTV will have
upconvert functionality for DVD's! That would be very cool.)

I'm still tinkering with getting SPDIF optical playback with AC3
passthrough to my Sony receiver. I can get it to work but then it borks
analog playback for non HD playback. What I really want is for it to work
like my Panasonic DVD player. that is, concurrent analog output for all
media.

Dale

My MythTV system specs:

Case: Antec Fusion
MBoard: ASUS M2NPV-VM (w/GeForce 6150 Chipset)
CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+
CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight SI-128 (no fan). (System is VERY quiet)
RAM: 2GB DDR2 667
HardDisks: 2 x WD500GB SATA Drives (using LVM with XFS on top)
CDRom: SuperAllWrite SATA+LightScribe
Analog TV Encoder: 2 - PVR-150's
HD Encoder: HDHomeRun over 100BaseT LAN
OS: Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn (7.04) OS is up-to-date
MythTV: Mythbuntu .20.2 weekly build.
Myth Theme: MePo Wide
Video Driver: Ubuntu Restricted Nvidia Driver.
TV: Toshiba 50H81 (Component Input) Rear Projection