[mythtv-users] SPDIF Brackets building them for sale

David George david at thegeorges.us
Sat Dec 22 16:08:20 UTC 2007

On 12/21/2007 9:07 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2007 7:50 PM, Scott Pleavin <scott.pleavin at rogers.com
> <mailto:scott.pleavin at rogers.com>> wrote:
>
>     Would you need the same resistor and capacitor on a S/PDIF input?
>
> I have one that i built.  I didnt use any resistors or any thing.  It
> has worked for the last 1.5 years.

Your receiver must be tolerant of 5v input then.  The S/PDIF spec says
the data should be 1v peak to peak.  The PC output is usually TTL level
which is 0v to 5v.  This is why the capacitor resistor circuit is used.
The only requirement is that the PC must have enough current output to
drive the circuit.  If it doesn't you will need to use a more
complicated circuit that includes a buffer chip.

Also, there is an error in the capacitor/resistor circuit I posted
yesterday.  The capacitor should be 100nF as Adilson wrote.

--
David