[mythtv-users] New nVidia 169.07 and interlace changes?

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Fri Dec 21 04:10:27 UTC 2007

Tom Dexter wrote:
> Wow...check this announcement on the nVidia site:
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104706
>
> ...especially this note:
>
> "Improved support for interlaced DVI, HDMI, and HDTV modesetting."
>
> I usually wait until the drivers hit Gentoo portage before installing
> them, so I'm not sure when I'll get to try that.
>
> My big question is just what that statement means about interlaced
> DVI.  I'm hoping this might actually mean a fix for the age old
> interlace tearing issues, but they may just mean the issues with
> built-in HD modes not working (requiring custom mode lines).  the fact
> that is specifically says 'modesetting' makes me leery that it may
> only mean the latter.
>
> If anyone gets to try it before me (especially those with interlaced
> displays that currently have to use de-interlacing) please report
> back.
>
> Got my fingers crossed on that one.  That'd be huge for sure.

Well, for me, this driver is definitely an improvement.

Previous drivers, including the 160.04 beta driver, have had problems
with mode lines. This is the first NVIDIA driver that has actually
worked with my 37" Sharp Aquos EDID mode lines. In addition, it is the
first time I have been able to get 1080i to work. For the fist time, I
can have MythTV automatically switch between 480i, 720p and 1080i.