[mythtv-users] [OT, again] digital TV antennae (was Re: OT: Digital signal bands - Was: Horrible Audio Problems on Video Glitch)

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Dec 21 01:47:51 UTC 2007

On Dec 20, 2007, at 5:34 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> On Dec 20, 2007, at 5:18 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>>
>>> How about "High Definition"? I have heard radio stations
>>> purporting to
>>> broadcast in "Hi Def",
>>
>> There really are high-def radio stations, just like high-def tv
>> stations.
>
> The allowable bandwidth of an AM or FM broadcast station is fixed and
> has not changed in many decades. I received the "we are Hi Def"
> announcements on a standard receiver. How is it that they are in any
> way
> "higher def" than any other station?

Yeah, and I receive "available in HD" announcements on my standard TV,
but the picture looks the same to me. ;)

HD radio is an in-band digital simulcasting technique:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Radio
I don't have an HD receiver (they're much more expensive, much like
HDTV receivers) but it's said to deliver FM quality on AM and CD
quality on FM.