[mythtv-users] OT: Digital signal bands - Was: Horrible Audio Problems on Video Glitch

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 20 18:34:15 UTC 2007

On 12/20/2007 02:29 AM, Justin The Cynical wrote:
> Mitch Gore wrote:
>> Thats the antenna that i started with as well.  I got terrible reception.
>> You want something with an amplifier.
>>
>> I have this one.  WOW has the price come down!
>> http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PHDTV3-Indoor-Powered-Antenna/dp/B000B58VNM/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_2
>>
>> With the old one i got 45% signal strength with the new one i get 95%.
>>
>> I mounted it in the corner of my hose on the ceiling in my closet.  works
>> great.  and you dont need the bunny ears spread.  that only for analog.
>>

> Kind of off topic, but the part about the rabbit ears is not correct.
>
> As you might know, those are the VHF antennas.  I have one or two
> stations in my area (Portland Oregon area) that broadcast the digital
> signal on the high VHF band.

I think what he's trying to say is that nearly all digital channels are
broadcast in the UHF range, so they're only necessary if you desire one
of the few VHF digital channels.

> My Radio Shack UHF couldn't pick up enough for Myth to lock on until I
> pointed my old VHF wind catcher at the broadcast antennas.
>
> Went from nothing to 85-90% signal.  :-)

Which, may be important for the OP as the only channel broadcast in VHF
in the Chicago area (according to http://antennaweb.org/ ) is one
WBBM-DT, a CBS affiliate called channel 2.1, on frequency assignment 3.

Note, also, that the OP is using a UHF-only antenna, so to fix the, "I
get a passable signal on every channel but our local CBS affiliate
(channel 2)" problem, he just nees a UHF/VHF antenna...

Mike