[mythtv-users] Horrible Audio Problems on Video Glitch

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 15:23:45 UTC 2007

On Dec 20, 2007 10:09 AM, Bryan Murphy <bryan.murphy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2007 7:57 AM, Bill Omer <bill.omer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm having this exact same problem.  It's gotten so bad that any show
> > I record on my hd3000, I also make one of my pvr-250's record the
> > analog version.  It's a really ... really bad sound, and makes me
> > avoid watching hd.
> >
> > I started out with this:
> > http://mythic.tv/product_info.php?cPath=21_30&products_id=48&osCsid=0c4bdbaf495bc371e874ac6a20e7025b
> >
> > Then I bought this amplified antenna:
> > http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103916
> >
> > I guess its an improvement on some channels, but I still get it pretty bad.
> >

> > As an alternative to using an antenna, I've been thinking about
> > upgrading to digital cable and using firewire.  But I've read that its
> > not the most stable option right now, so I'm leary.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Bill Omer
>
> I did the firewire thing for a long time.  It worked OK at the
> beginning, but eventually it stopped working for me (I think Comcast
> did something funky with one of the updates to the cable box, or maybe
> some Ubuntu update mucked up the firewire layer).  Anyway, when it
> worked it worked great but MythTV crashed very frequently.  It's been
> well over a year since I last tried so things may have gotten better,
> but I don't have Comcast anymore (nor do I want it).
>
> As a temporary work around, I pointed mythvideo at the directory I use
> to store the recordings, setup mythvideo to use mplayer, and am now
> using that to watch the recorded videos.  I had to teach my fiancee
> how to decode the file names, I'm not entirely sure she got it.  We'll
> find out soon enough. :)
>
> It's far from ideal, but it might be good enough to get you through
> until we can find a real solution.

Try the femon utility that someone else recommended in a branch from
this thread.  Looks like it shows the signal your dvb card is getting,
so it should help with positioning the antenna to get a better signal.
 When I get back to the house, I'm going to run it on my frontend and
watch the db levels go up or down as I move my antenna around, might
even hook up my old one and compare, to see what the benefits of
having an amplified antenna really is.