[mythtv-users] Mythwelcome and ACPI wake up

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Thu Dec 20 14:20:44 UTC 2007

On Dec 20, 2007 7:40 AM, Brion Swanson <brions at usalug.net> wrote:
> Your subjects states you're using Mythwelcome with ACPI (as opposed to
> nvram-wakeup), but I don't see that anywhere in your instructions here.
> Are you saying you're planning on documenting your experience more fully
> somewhere else or is this email your documentation of your process?

There already is some documentation at
<URL:http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/ACPI_Wakeup>.

Since I use Ubuntu, I found this slightly more useful:
<URL:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/WhatNext/ACPIWake?highlight=%28wakeup%29%7C%28acpi%29>

I am using SVN trunk, so some mythwelcome/mythshutdown settings have changed.

For my Abit motherboard, I found two things in those docs essential:
* I disabled the wakeup feature in the BIOS setup.
* I modified my hwclock.sh script so that the wakeup time is written
to /proc/acpi/alarm twice after the hardware clock is set.

> I'm trying to get the same thing working, but Myth won't shut down even
> when it reports that it's been idle for the requisite time (and no
> recordings are scheduled and no frontends are running).

Yeah, I've been testing my setup and saw the same thing. I set a short
idle timeout in mythtv-setup of 30s. My mythtvbackend log contains
lines like "I'm idle now... shutdown will occur in 30 seconds." and
"Waited more than 60 seconds for shutdown to complete - resetting idle
time". I don't know if there's a bug in mythbackend or mythshutdown or
what. However, it does eventually shut down, though it takes longer
than it seems it should.

I've been using the hibernate command as the mythwelcome/mythshutdown
shutdown command. It can use several different suspend methods
including suspend to RAM and suspend2. Right now I'm wondering if
mythbackend isn't expected to still exist after running a shutdown
command. Maybe everything would be smoother if I shut down mythbackend
before suspending and restarted it after resuming.
--
Jonathan Rogers