[mythtv-users] What is the recommended power management system to use with MythTv?

Brion Swanson brions at usalug.net
Wed Dec 19 16:00:23 UTC 2007

On 12/19/07, Ma Begaj <derliebegott at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/12/18, Don Brett <dlbrett at zoominternet.net>:
> > Andrew Davidson wrote:
> > > I recently went through the same issue.
> > >
> > > I went with shutdown/wakeup with an ACPI alarm.
> > >
> > > It's actually not that hard to setup and has been rock solid for the
> > > last 3 days or so.
> > >
> > > I followed this guide (mostly)
> > >
> > > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/WhatNext/ACPIWake
> > >

> > > *___________________________________*
> > > *Andrew Davidson*
> > > andrew at amdavidson.com <mailto:andrew at amdavidson.com>

> haven't
> dedicated

> > Thanks, I looked at the Ubuntu guide, but it looks too different from
> > the distro I have installed (Fedora 7).  Too bad, it looks pretty
> > straight forward.
> >
> > I also researched the STR, and had some success with suspend2, but it
> > was a bit too cutting edge for my daughters pvr (kinda zero-tolerance).
> > Nvram-wakeup also looked promising, but pretty complex.
> >
> > Does anyone know if there is a guide for any of these that are written
> > for Fedora?  Thanks again,
> >
> > Don
> >

> Why don't you just try it yourself? Write the wakeup time
> /proc/acpi/alarm (+2 minutes from now) and shutdown your mythbox. if
> it wakes up, you can use MythWelcome.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mythwelcome

Ma,

Do you use MythWelcome with /proc/acpi/alarm?  I know it's designed to work
with nvram-wakeup but supposedly it can work with /proc/acpi/alarm as well.

This morning I followed the instructions on the guide Andrew linked (
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/WhatNext/ACPIWake) and I
looked at the MythWelcome wiki page as well, but between the two I think I
got confused somewhere as to what needs to be set to make it actually go to
sleep.

I know /proc/acpi/alarm works because I can set the alarm, shut the machine
down and it wakes backup.  What doesn't work is having Myth detect that it's
not in use and shut itself down.  So given that the machine is question is a
slave backend that has my only tuner card but is nevertheless rarely used
for recording or watching live TV (I have a lot of digital tuners for live
TV watching without PVR capabilities) and given that I've got MythWelcome
running on startup so that Mythfrontend does not prevent the slave backend
from shutting down, here are my questions:

1. What command do I need to use in mythtv-setup and/or mythwelcome --setup
in order to make my slave backend shut down when idle (for 15 minutes lets
say)?  Right now it's "/sbin/poweroff" in MythWelcome and "" in the Myth
backend's "Server Halt Command" is "halt".

2. What happens if the server is idle and there are no programs scheduled?
Will it simply shutdown without a wake-up time?

3. If this slave backend shuts down with a wake up time of 1 hour to record
a show at that time, and in the meantime (from another frontend) the master
backend is told to record a show in 10 minutes, I presume the slave backend
(the only one with the tuner card) will not wake up in time to record
because at the moment it has now WOL ability enabled and it would only wake
at the scheduled 1 hour time or if I walked up to it and turned it on,
correct?

3a. Will WOL and ACPI/shutdown work together? Does anyone here have that
configuration?

Ideally I'm working toward a set-up wherein the standalone frontends (such
as a HTPC in the living room) would go into a suspend mode when not in use
(by direct user action to suspend/unsuspend), the slave backend(s) would
shut down when not in use, but be able to be forced awake with WOL if a user
suddenly demanded to begin recording now, and the master backend would stay
running all the time to service all the frontends and wake the sleeping
slave backends up (as well as perform commflagging as necessary).  I don't
suppose anyone already has that set up?

Thanks,
Brion