[mythtv-users] OT: hardware decoding of HD content

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Wed Dec 19 05:31:06 UTC 2007

My 5200 plays 1080i/720p just fine on my 37" 1080p monitor.  You'll find
it offloads MUCH of the CPU work for decoding high def content due to
its video overlay.  You'll need the Nvidia legacy drivers.  I upgraded
my MB and really miss my AGP 5200.  My 7600 looks like crap and uses 50%
of my dual core system (100% of one core!) while the 5200 (now in my
wife's computer as a remote frontend) only uses 48% of a single core and
looks great!  I hope either Nvidia wises up soon or the Myth developers
get the Nvidia 3D rendering working.  Hold on to that 5200 as long as
you can!

DaveD