[mythtv-users] WOL Slave Backend only when needed

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 00:49:28 UTC 2007

> 1.  when there are commercial flagging jobs.  I want the slave to do all

> > flagging.  When my combined FE/BE is flagging i get pre-buffers when
> > watching HD so i would prefer it not to ever do it.
>
> Nice idea, I like it.
>
> Make your own script (bash or perl) which runs mythcommflagging. It
> could work like this:
> 1. check whether slave is online (with ping or something else)
> 2. if not, run WOL command to wake slave and wait 1-2 minutes to finish
> booting
> 3. run mythcommflag  (for the slave)

So here is what I was thinking...

I need to parse the xml file that is on *ip_of_master*:3644/xml
then parse that to leave me with whats in between <JobQueue> and </JobQueue>
Inside that it appears jobs are listed.  There is a field that lists
Status.  When this equals 1 a job is in queue. So i need to power on the
FE(if its not already running), ssh to it, and run the mythjobqueue.

Then, my though was to have the master check the status of the job queue
every 30 mins.  If there is any pending or in-progress jobs do nothing.  If
all jobs are status=272 (this means completed)  ssh to the FE and power it
off.  I think 30mins would be a good timing to not be powering off the
backend all the time, maybe i should make it longer Thoughts?

Anyone be willing to work on a script?  I am not very inclined on scripting
yet.

also CCing the Dev list.  Devs,  maybe a script isnt the best idea.  Would
doing this in the backend be easier/better?

Thanks,
Mitchell