[mythtv-users] Anyone else? - Reproducible frontend crash playing HD MPEG2

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Dec 18 21:42:47 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/18/2007 12:07 PM, Rich West wrote:
>
>> Correct.. it's representative of corruption within the mpeg file.  And I
>> agree, I wouldn't worry about it.  I *believe* OTA is more susceptible
>> to corruption since it relies of signal strength, can be impacted by
>> weather, physical obstacles, and general stability of the placement of
>> the antenna.
>>

> Sounds like your cable company is a /lot/ better quality than the one in
> my area...  Their service is far less reliable than OTA has been for me.
>

>>   However, when you get the antenna in the right place, the
>> picture quality is far superior.
>>

> Yep.  You get full bitrate video.  The cable companies like to reduce
> the bitrate to fit more channels on the pipe.

I'm in the heart of Comcast country which has historically has good
strong quality.  But, the compression on the video is a real turn-off
(aside from the price).  So, I am using DirecTV w/ SD broadcasts for the
majority of our channels, and an HDHomeRun w/ a good indoor/outdoor
antenna (mounted outdoors) + in-line amplifier for the broadcast HD
channels.

-Rich