[mythtv-users] mpeg merging?

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Mon Dec 17 22:04:32 UTC 2007

My local PBS digital station is sometimes difficult to receive,
however they typically broadcast the same show multiple times in a
week.  I currently check the recording of a show, and if it shows
glitches, schedule it to be re-recorded.  I was wondering if there
might be something smarter that I could do.

Since it seems unlikely that reception glitches will occur at exactly
the same time in all recordings,  I was wondering if there was any
software which can take two or more mpeg files which should be
identical, and "merge" them.  Eg, if file A has damage at a particular
point, it consults file B to repair the damage, if B is also damaged,
it consults file C, etc.  It seems that given enough samples, one
should always be able to reconstruct a perfect copy of a digital
broadcast.

Thanks,

Drew