[mythtv-users] Playback issues with myth frontend over a wireless network

Brion Swanson brions at usalug.net
Sat Dec 15 16:39:46 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 08:15 -0500, Charles H. Chapman wrote:
> Brion Swanson wrote:
> > For a while I was running my Myth frontend with a Linksys Wireless G card
> > and it was ok for SD.  I didn't have any HD content, but the maximum data
> > transfer rate of wireless G is only about 6.75 MB per second so HD will be
> > hit and miss most likely (depending on packet loss) and you're likely to
> > only be able to support a single stream at a time.
>
> Argh!  Where do you people get these numbers?!?!?!  You must be in
> wireless B mode without realizing it.  I easily get data rates of 20 MB
> or more (as MEASURED by tools like Wireshark) which is more than enough
> to do HD content.

Allow me to assist you: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=54+megabits
+in+megabytes&btnG=Google+Search

Wireless g has a transfer rate maximum of 54 megaBITS per second.  If
you convert that into megaBYTES per second you get 6.75 (8 bits per
byte).  Therefore the maximum transfer rate you can possibly get with
wireless g (not including technologies such as Linksys SpeedBoost which
combines multiple wireless g channels to get faster rates) is 6.75 MB/s.
If you're getting 20 MB/s transfer rate over wireless, then you're using
something other than a single wireless g connection (wireless n or
SpeedBoost).

Please correct me (and Google) if my math/conversion is wrong.  In my
experience, a 100 mbps ethernet connection can sustain about 13 MB/s
which is why I'm boosting my network to gigabit ethernet very soon in
order to support multiple HD streams across the network simultaneously.

Brion