[mythtv-users] Firewire question

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 13:42:57 UTC 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 9:39 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Harry Devine wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I was toying around with my Firewire setup using the Wiki a few minutes
> > ago (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/FireWire) and was able to
> > determine that my Firewire is recognized and setup properly.  I just
> > compiled and ran the 6200ch channel changer and found it to work for my
> > STB, which is a Motorola DCT3412.  I want to start recording via
> > Firewire since my Myth setup can only tune 50 of my 320 channels, of
> > which most of those are the major networks (ABC, NBC, FOX, etc.).
> > Basically the "OTA" stuff.
> >
> > Now, with all of this now working, I guess I'm confused on what I need
> > to do next.  I did see in the Wiki about adding "/usr/local/bin/6200ch
> > <channel>" to the recording setup, so that's not a problem.  Do I need
> > to do anything else special?
> >
> > Also, my STB has 2 tuners in it.  What I'd like to do is to allow the
> > channel changer to change the channel on 1 tuner on my STB to record
> > shows and allow me to watch TV on the other tuner.  Is this possible?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Harry
> >
> Well, since apparently nobody out there uses firewire, I thought I'd add
> a little bit to this issue.  I was in mythtv-setup, and for the lineup
> for the Firewire input, I told it to use the existing lineup I had in
> SchedulesDirect, and told it "Fetch channels from listing source".
> However, I still see the original channels that I had.  50 known
> channels and 270 that say Unknown (i.e "UNKNOWN117#0, etc.).
>
> Should I tweak my lineups in SD so that I have 1 lineup with the known
> channels, and another one with everything that my STB gets so I can grab
> listings to record via Firewire?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Harry

you don't need to use 6200ch, the backend can change the channels on its own.
I don't know why they say unknown, you may want to make sure they
correspond with channels you actually have? you may also need to have
mythfilldatabase update all your channels.
you can use the same lineup for two seperate "tuner" inputs. just
setup two sources in mythtv-setup, a separate one for each tuner, and
use the channel editor to remove whatever channels a source does not
actually receive.

and try searching this list, theres a lot of information on both these topics.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!