[mythtv-users] No Sound, MythTV 20.2, Fedora 8, bt878 caputre card

Trevor Hartman viable.hartman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 06:54:30 UTC 2007

Hi Again everyone,

I ended up finding a solution to my own problem.  For some reason my MythTV
install was muting my video 4 linux device.  I still don't know why that was
happening, but the following procedure fixed the problem for me.

Once I start the mythfrontend, I Alt+Tabbed to my open shell and ran:
"v4lctl volume mute off" without the quotes, of course.

This gave me my much desired sound.  The sound was terrible though until I
muted the CD line on my mixer to get rid of the echo, and increased the
sample rate in the MythTV "Recording Profile" to clear up the reverb.

I also notice, now that I have sound, my setup sounds much better with the
mythfrontend device set as ALSA:default instead of /dev/dsp, again as
expected.

Cheers,
Trevor