[mythtv-users] wake-on-lan works after windows shutdown, but not after linux

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 09:25:01 UTC 2007

On 14/12/2007, Ma Begaj <derliebegott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a motherboard ASUS P5KC with Slackware 12 and XP. I have two
> other Asus motherboards with Linux only (also Slackware), and
> wake-on-lan works.
>
> When I shutdown from Windows, wake-on-lan is working without any
> problems. but after I shutdown from Linux, there is no way to wake up
> the box. Kernel is 2.6.23.1 (custom) and the ethernet adapter is using
> module "atl1".
>
> lspci:
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit
> Ethernet Adapter (rev b0)
>
> ethtool's flag "g" is turned on:
>
> root at mythtv:/home/erol# ethtool eth0
> Settings for eth0:
>        Supported ports: [ TP ]
>        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>                                1000baseT/Full
>        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
>        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>                                1000baseT/Full
>        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
>        Speed: 100Mb/s
>        Duplex: Full
>        Port: Twisted Pair
>        PHYAD: 0
>        Transceiver: internal
>        Auto-negotiation: on
>        Supports Wake-on: umbg
>        Wake-on: umbg
>        Link detected: yes
>
> I tried putting only "g" for Wake-on, it does not help. I read
> somewhere about trying to use all flags ("umbg"), but that also does
> not help.
>

> Does someone have an idea what might be the cause for this problem?
> BIOS cannot be the problem, because wake-on-lan is working from
> Windows.

I use wake-on-lan on Fedora FC6.

For me, what stopped WOL working 'out of the the box' was that the
init.d/halt script reset the ethernet interface on shutdown, turning
off the 'g' flag.

I got around it by editing the halt script to set the 'g' flag on
again just before the end of the script.

Since you have working 'Slackware' systems (where you presumably
didn't have to do this hack) then this doesn't seem very likely to be
your problem, but you never know!

Have you tried using the power button the shut the machine down (not
that this would be a solution but if it allows WOL to work it may give
some clues to what's wrong)?