[mythtv-users] Video Capture Card

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Fri Dec 14 06:06:39 UTC 2007

On 12/14/07, Trey Thompson <treythompson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Also, you WILL notice a difference between svideo and composite.  A HUGE one.
>
> Sorry for the obvious question...  but you're saying that S-Video will
> be better than composite (RWY)?

Ignore the audio.  no matter what you need the red and white
connectors for that.

Quick primer (which I'm sure is on the wiki) about video:
-Composite has 1 ground and 1 signal wire
-SVideo has 2 ground and 2 signal wire (chrom and lumen).
-Component has 3 ground and 3 signal wires (not sure of the signals)

The move from composite to SVideo results in a MUCH clearer picture
because dark vs light doesn't cause corruption in color (and vice
versa).  The biggest visible proof of this is that svideo signals
typically do not suffer from dot-crawl or from "blooming" (bright
scenes causing color degredation).