[mythtv-users] Myth frontend problems, part deux; also pcHDTV analog issues, again

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Thu Dec 13 22:35:54 UTC 2007

> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 00:00:58 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Bob Sully" <rcs at malibyte.net>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Myth frontend problems, part deux
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>
> Hi all -
>
> I posted a few days ago about problems I've had with my remote frontend (I
> get picture, but no sound) on Mandriva x86_64.  Never did get a response.
> ;-p
>

> Curiouser and curiouser:
>
> On the same machine, I also have Ubuntu Gutsy x86_64.  Mythfrontend is
> also installed there.  Now...on THIS distro, I have SOUND, but no
> PICTURE).
>
> Here's a pic of the recordings menu.  Note that the thumbnail video works
> fine.
>
> http://www.malibyte.com/images/MythFE-menu-small.jpg
>

> The following is what I get when I try to watch a recording:
>
> http://www.malibyte.com/images/MythFE-play-small.jpg
>

> Here is the setup screen for playback of recordings:
>
> http://www.malibyte.com/images/MythFE-setup-small.jpg
>

> Now...both are running two nvidia 7600 GTs in SLI mode, and both are using
> Compiz-Fusion.  Admittedly, the xorg.conf file isn't optimized in Ubuntu,
> because I get crap FPS readings with glxgears, and screensavers are quite
> choppy...so I need to optimize it (any pointers for optimizing xorg.conf
> for SLI mode/Compiz-fusion would definitely be appreciated).  However,
> Xine plays .avi files fine without any problems under it, so I don't see
> why Mythfrontend shouldn't be able to play videos.
>
> Anyone else seen anything like this...and have a fix?

I found the fix for the Ubuntu frontend video issue.

I added this to the "Module" section:

        Load "fbdevhw"

I now have picture and sound on the Ubuntu frontend.

I notice that the Mandriva setup doesn't offer "ALSA:Default" as an option
for the default sound device, and Ubuntu does - I'm sure this is why I
don't have sound on the Mandriva frontend (even though it works fine using
"/dev/adsp" on my Mandriva combined BE/FE).  Bah.

Also, I still don't have a fix for the analog issues on my pcHDTV 5500
cards (choppy, speeded-up audio and video); the DVB tuners work fine.  Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Bob