[mythtv-users] MythVideo: file name sorting oddity

Brion Swanson brions at usalug.net
Thu Dec 13 21:13:34 UTC 2007

On 12/13/07, Anduin Withers <awithers at anduin.com> wrote:

> > So am I basically hearing that the sorting is not wrong.  In the en_US
> > locale "X", "X 2", and "X 3" are correctly sorted as "X 3", "X 2", "X",
> > and this is not possible to change (easily or correctly)?
>
> No, you changed examples. (X3, X2, X) sorts to (X, X2, X3). However,
> (X3.ext, X2.ext, X.ext) sorts to (X2.ext, X3.ext, X.ext).
>
> This doesn't match what you see, probably because I didn't bother merging
> the sort key (the things used when title sorting) fixes from trunk back to
> -fixes (either because a release was imminent, or I'm lazy, likely the
> latter).

Sorry for the change, I guess I simply don't understand why (sans
extensions) they sort they way they do .

Eventually, something like Michael T. Dean's patch will probably be done.

> I will try to get no-extension name compares in soon.

Is there anything I can do to help?  I'm a developer by trade, but haven't
delved very far into Myth recently (once, back in .18 I think, I modified
the code so it would use xine (or mplayer) to play a VIDEO_TS directory
instead of the first VOB file it found because at that time I was ripping
DVD mirror copies to the drive and MythVideo couldn't handle that.  My
solution worked but was by no means elegant and I never submitted it back
for consideration as a patch (because it made too many assumptions about the
way I wanted things).

I'm always happy to learn and contribute back to the community.

Thanks!
Brion