[mythtv-users] Centos 5, Firewire Capture Success?

Jeff Coffler jeff-list-mythusers at taltos.com
Thu Dec 13 17:28:49 UTC 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 6:14 AM, Jacob Steenhagen wrote:

> On 12/12/07, Jeff Coffler <jeff-list-mythusers at taltos.com> wrote:
> Yes, I'm running CentOS v5.1.  I do firewire captures with the Centos
> Plus kernel, and it works great.
>
> Is the plus kernel a requirement for doing firewire capture? Or did
> you update to it for other reasons?

Update to the plus kernel is a requirement.  The default RHEL5 kernel
(and thus the CentOS kernel) does not ship with firewire enabled.

That said, however, this is the easiest solution (to me), for the
following reasons:

1. CentOS is MUCH more "stable" in the sense that you're not looking
at retiring the O/S every six months,
2. Fedora required mucking because the kernel firewire stack was
incompatible with the tools, so you needed to make more changes (and
do more fiddling) to make things work on Fedora,
3. Enabling the Plus kernel is essentially a two line change (well
documented on the CentOS wiki) in the yum configuration file.

The firewire stack in CentOS 5 is otherwise compatible with the tools,
so no other changes are needed - it "just works".

	-- Jeff