[mythtv-users] Adding new windows pc's to Myth setup?

Mache Creeger mache at creeger.com
Thu Dec 13 00:48:28 UTC 2007

I use MythTV Player (http://sudu.dk/mythtvplayer/) on my XP boxes and
have been very happy with it.  I export the myth recording directory
on the BE with Samba and have never had a problem. While changing the
os over to Linux is a noble idea, the kid games available for Linux
are limited and the kids will get cranky. Dual booting is way too
complicated to work in the real world.

On a general note, my 12 year old kid has his computer in his bedroom
and I have had a constant war to get him to study and do his homework
and not be distracted by the Internet, TV, or video games. Over the
years I have put in, and made spouse control friendly, X10-controlled
power outlets, plink and iptables-controlled Internet access that is
blocked at the router, plink and iptables-controlled access to the
myth recording directory, X10-controlled cable TV access to his room
and to the house, and have set up multiple user accounts (one with
game access and one with just access to standard office apps) on his
XP computer.

While I want to give my kid access to cool computer and a/v
technology, I have also found that I have to work twice as hard to
guard against creating a TV, Internet, and video game addicted kid
that is flunking all his classes.

-- Mache Creeger