[mythtv-users] Adding new windows pc's to Myth setup?

Todd mythtv at vbref.org
Wed Dec 12 21:28:15 UTC 2007

"Mike Dent" <mcdent at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> currently I have a combined fe/be mythtv box downstairs next to the main TV.
>
> At Christmas santa may bring 2 x new pc's with Vista on for 2 x children!
>
> They have TV's in their rooms at present, the idea is that these will go and the
> PC with capture card/USB digital tv adaptor will replace them.
>
> I thought it would be neat if they could each run Myth and possibly
> access stuff from the fe/be downstairs.

As a parent, I'd think VERY carefully about putting individual
computers in a minor child's bedroom that are internet connected.  I
think any child advocate or anyone who's got a realistic view of
internet security and the landscape for minors would beat their shoe
on the table and advising against it.

But, there are ways you can configure your network to provide the
benefits of having an individual machine there for doing schoolwork
that requires the computer (but not the interner) and the TV aspects.

If you're savvy enough to implement a firewall at the internet gateway
that blocks their hosts from internet access and locks down their MAC
address to a specific IP that will talk, and deny those hosts internet
access at the firewall (which you keep in a locked room or cabinet so
they don't have a savvy friend bypass it for them), you can still do
the TV thang and leverage the LAN you'd still have and not be opening
the door for insanity.

> I'd like some advice on the best way to do this for the kids. I think
> I have at least 3 options.
>
> 1) Install Linux partition alongside the Vista and have them boot in
> to this for TV

dual booting is a pain.

> 2) Install Linux in virtual machine, VMware etc running on Vista as
>    the host OS
> 3) Run the early version of the Mythfrontend for windows.
> 4) Forget Myth on these and just run whatever TV/capture program comes
> with the tuners
> 5) Windows media centre?!

Media Center, or the tv applications that come with the tuner cards
under windows work fine if watching TV is the end game.  Then you
could use VLC to mount an SMB share of your video directory off the
backend,  or  use MythTV Player... which I just installed in XP last
week and actually works quite the treat in getting media off the
backend and watching it, even over 802.11g wireless.

> Apart from it being cool for them to run Myth, what advantage would
> they have accessing the fe/be downstairs?

Accessing the backend downstairs can be done in several ways without
dealing with Linux on the client machine.    I'm currently using
MythTV Player.

But... I also like the idea of going with a Linux based host OS and
running ivista in a virtual machine ... if you enjoy the fun of
configuring up linux myth boxes.  In contrast installing MythTV Player
is MUCH simpler.

Best Regards,