[mythtv-users] Adding new windows pc's to Myth setup?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Wed Dec 12 20:50:25 UTC 2007

Mike Dent wrote:
> Hi,
> currently I have a combined fe/be mythtv box downstairs next to the main TV.
>
> At Christmas santa may bring 2 x new pc's with Vista on for 2 x children!
>
> They have TV's in their rooms at present, the idea is that these will go and the
> PC with capture card/USB digital tv adaptor will replace them.
>
> I thought it would be neat if they could each run Myth and possibly
> access stuff from the fe/be downstairs.
>
> I'd like some advice on the best way to do this for the kids. I think
> I have at least 3 options.
>
> 1) Install Linux partition alongside the Vista and have them boot in
> to this for TV
> 2) Install Linux in virtual machine, VMware etc running on Vista as the host OS
> 3) Run the early version of the Mythfrontend for windows.
> 4) Forget Myth on these and just run whatever TV/capture program comes
> with the tuners
> 5) Windows media centre?!

I would go with hidden option number 6:

6) Install Linux and run Windows in a VM. I use Ubuntu and VirtualBox as
the VM and this works WAY better
than VmWare or Xen, from what I've found. If your new PC's have hardware
VT support, it will work even better.

I do have to ask though, what will they need Windows for anyway?

Tom