[mythtv-users] DVI to A/V Receiver HDMI?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 18:34:09 UTC 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 11:19 PM, Andy Poling <andy at realbig.com> wrote:
> I've been looking at the new crop of A/V receivers that are now on the market.
> With features like up-conversion of S-video and component to HDMI, it looks
> like I could finally stop switching inputs on both the receiver (audio) and
> the TV (video) when I want to switch from my MythFE to some other source.
>
> Here's the big question... I presently use a DVI-to-HDMI cable to connect my
> nvidia 6800 (v1.0.9755 driver) running 1920x1080 to the TV (Sceptre X42).
> Will I be able to use the GPU's DVI out with a receiver with HDMI inputs?
>
> I tried using the composite output on the 6800, but even when running 1080i
> output (confirmed by my set), I only got a narrowed 4:3-sized image in the
> center of the 16:9 screen with pillars.  That's not what I was expecting at
> all.
>
> Is there a way for my MythFE to co-exist with other A/V sources and a modern
> A/V receiver switching it all?

I have my main frontend running a DVI-to-HDMI cable to my Denon 3806
then from there to my Panasonic plasma via HDMI with no issues. The
video card picks it up as "Denon-AVP" instead of my TV in the EDID
though, so I can't use EDID. I assume similar would be true for you,
so you'll have to define your modelines (or use the standards,
"1280x720_60" and "1920x1080_60")

Now I'm just waiting for a video card capable of transmitting surround
PCM via HDMI so i can put a BluRay/HD-DVD drive in....

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!