[mythtv-users] Disk Access

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 21:53:58 UTC 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 3:37 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2007 11:37 AM, Stephen Robertson <stephengrobertson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I hope you will excuse what is hopefully a very simple question.  I've
> > noticed an issue with my myth system(1 diskless frontend and 1 backend)
> if I
> > am recording two dvb programs and watching one already recorded program.
> > Mostly everything is fine however skipping/fast forwarding/rewinding is
> > incredibly slow though it usually does resolve itself without falling
> over..
> > Backend CPU and memory usage does not seem to show anything untoward and
> > be honest I'm not sure how to sensibly measure any disk access
> parameters.
> > The disk for the recordings is used solely for storing recordings and is
> > XFS.
> >
> Try executing the command "iostat 4 5".
>
> This will report I/O statistics for five samples separated by four
> seconds each.  The first
> report will be cumulative statistics since the system was last booted.
>  The man page will
> explain what it tells you.  It is easy to have an I/O bound system
> that doesn't show the
> CPU burdened significantly, and this sounds like your problem.  Do you
> have your
> recordings on a different disk than the O/S and mysql database?
> Hosting them all on the
> same disk is frequently a cause of problems.
>
> HTH.
>
> Craig.

Let me add a small "me too" into this.  Not sure what the heck has happened
but all of a sudden my "fast forward", particularly through Xine, is
HORRENDOUS.

I had dropped out to play an out of sync show (bad parameters in Myth), and
was trying to use Fast Forward and Rewind to get through some parts of the
commercials.  WOW, i've never seen a single key take 15 - 20 seconds to
process before.  Literally I'd hit the fast forward key once and it would
continue playing the show, as if I had never touched it, for the next 15
seconds before jumping forward.

I wonder if this isn't exactly my problem now that I see what you're saying.

Thanks for the info.

--Douglas Wagner