[mythtv-users] OT: Interesting use of automated search of CC text

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 18:36:44 UTC 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 11:41 AM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2007, at 7:19 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > I believe there was some sort of device that purported to blank the
> > audio in case of "undesired" content. I think it used caption
> > information to identify content.
> >
> > I've never seen this box, and I question how effective it could be,
> > since the delay between the caption text and the audio is so variable.
>
> I vaguely remember a commercial device that was supposed to do this.
> I think people who tested it noted that it silenced the audio for a
> rather long period of time, to compensate for the variable caption
> delays.
>
> There was also a company for a while selling a DVD player that would
> skip around to automatically edit movies for content, based on pre-
> written scripts the company came up with for various films.  It was
> sold on Christian radio stations and the other usual places for such
> things.  I remember the MPAA suing, but I don't remember the outcome.
>
> FWIW:

www.clearplay.com

Bascially they have you upload 'edits' to a  specialized dvd player for each

standard, dvd movie you want to watch. The dvd player skips around or blanks
the audio based on the 'edits' that you upload to the dvd player via a usb
memory stick. Something like that...

There was a second type of tech that the MPAA sued successfully where
the company would sell you a modified DVD that played in a standard DVD
player. You would actually get a DVD copy of a movie ( edited for content )
and the MPAA sued them saying that some company was altering a DVD
for content, reselling it and making a profit.... again.. something like
that.

The 'clearplay' difference is you use a standard DVD that you buy or rent
and then tell you specialized dvd player ( via the usb memory stick ) to
alter how the disk is played back.

jack