[mythtv-users] Harddrive downgrade...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Dec 11 17:16:04 UTC 2007

Andrew Close wrote:
> On Dec 11, 2007 10:58 AM, Bill Omer <bill.omer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Why not enable the option to require XXGB free?  If you make myth
>> leave 100GB free, then the space should shrink by its self.  Then you
>> can install your 200GB drive and use dd.
>
> i wasn't sure that would work.  i thought dd might try to copy the
> empty space at the end of the 300GB drive as well.  i have slimmed
> down the usage of the drive to about 145GB, although it is growing
> quickly again. :)
> thanks Bill, i didn't think i could do that.  i'll give it a try.

A straight dd will not only copy (or try and copy) the entire disk, but
also things like the partition table.

You can do a dd to a larger disk, then correct the partition table size.
I've done that but I've never tried to go the other way (to a smaller disk).

Obviously the safest method is to copy everything to temporary storage,
re-install Myth and copy everything back, but that requires enough
temporary storage to hold everything.

beww