[mythtv-users] Harddrive downgrade...

Jason Sullivan jason0x21 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 16:41:01 UTC 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 10:59 AM, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
> anyway, the instructions assume you are 'upgrading' to a harddrive of
> equal or greater size.  i would like to downgrade my existing drive
> (300GB, or is it 300GiB? :) to a 200GB drive that just contains all
> partitions minus the /myth/tv partition.  i'd like to use the 300GB
> drive exclusively for /myth/tv.  my understanding of the 'dd' command
> is that it does a bit for bit copy, so if i have more bits on one
> drive than can fit on the other i may run into problems.  is there a
> quick and easy way to migrate everything to the 200GB drive and then
> expand the /myth/tv partition on the 300GB drive to encompass the
> whole drive?  or some similar solution?  i guess the key is quick,
> since this is my production system and i don't have another box to
> play with.

I've had good luck shrinking partitions with gparted.  I used the live
CD to do a fairly complex repartitioning of my laptop and lost no
data.  If your partitions are already separate, you should be able to
shrink them and move them to the new, smaller drive, without too much
trouble (make backups!).  Then you can expand the /myth/tv partition.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php

--
Jason Sullivan
jason0x21 at gmail.com