[mythtv-users] Mencoder magic for Internal player

Joe Ripley vitaminjoe at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 14:12:48 UTC 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 4:03 AM, Neil Dunbar <neil.dunbar at pobox.com> wrote:

> But since recordings transcoded via Mythtranscode into MPEG-4 play/rewind/fast
> forward just fine, there must be a set of parameters for mencoder/ffmpeg
> which will produce Internal-friendly files. Does anyone have experience that
> could bring to bear here?

This probably has something to do with the seek table.  I believe that
mythtranscode automatically builds a seek table for mythfrontend when
it does transcoding.  This was the key for me when I decided to stop
using mythtranscode for transcoding my recordings (I didn't like the
.nuvs, I wanted a more portable format).  I couldn't seek in an AVI
file properly in mythfrontend until I rebuilt the seek table for each
transcoded recording.

A simple 'mythcommflag -f <filename> --rebuild' solved it for me.
After this I could FF/REW, jump, skip, etc. normally (with minimal
image corruption). mythcommflag must be marking keyframe byte
positions or something... I'm not sure.

Since you're doing external videos and not recordings, look into the
'--video' command switch for mythcommflag.

More at: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mythcommflag

--
Joe Ripley
vitaminjoe at gmail.com