[mythtv-users] compile from source?

Greg greg12866 at nycap.rr.com
Tue Dec 11 02:10:46 UTC 2007

Robin Gilks wrote:
>> I spent a good part of the day trying to figure out how to compile
>> mythtv from source..My question is there a guide for 64 bit? It seems
>> all the how too guide's are different than what i need...
>>
>> Fedora 8
>>

> * Install a pre-packaged version
> * Make a note of all the dependancies it pulled in and install the -devel
> version of those
> * Remove packaged MythTV
> * cd mythtv
> * ./configure
> * check what options that you want are not enabled by default
> * ./configure <my options....>
> * make
> * if no errors then -> make install
> * cd ../mythplugins
> * repeat from ./configure step above
> * cd ../myththemes
> * repeat from ./configure step above
> * done
>
> Not that difficult, and if you are going to track SVN head for example
> then install ccache and do a make distclean before each configure stage
> and ccache will supply all the stuff that *didn't* change when you do the
> make..
>
> Cheers

Thanks Robin
        This was to be an experiment. Just wanted to try my hand at
compiling mythtv from scratch... What i found was allot of library files
are in different places than what the guide was telling me.. I installed
Lame using yum,it went in the wrong place..  Then when i tried to
compile myth i got an error saying Freetype  needed to be installed. It
was installed, but not where the guide said it should be.. I am just
trying to learn about this stuff...  So i will give your method a try
and see what happens...
Thanks