[mythtv-users] Fwd: which new OS for old frontend?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Tue Dec 11 01:50:51 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 12:39 -0500, Josh White wrote:
> "Myth compiles out of
> the box once I have all the necessary libraries and -devel packages in
> place."
>
> Isn't that normally the case?

The necessary libraries and -devel packages aren't always available, so
it won't compile "out of the box". And, the source code for the missing
libraries won't compile either without a lot of finagling. This was the
case with trying to get LIRC to work on CentOS 4, for one example. Which
is why I went back to FC8. There are LIRC packages for CentOS 5, but I
decided finally that when I am using software like Myth that is still
under active development, I'm better off using an OS that is also under
active development so that it will keep pace. FC8, for instance, is the
first OS I've installed on my other desktop (the one with a Radeon 9800)
that had 3D graphics work out of the box without the proprietary ATI
driver.

--Greg