[mythtv-users] Transcode any program recorded on one channel (new Aussie HD channels)

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Dec 11 00:09:19 UTC 2007

Cal wrote:
> David Whyte wrote:
>> I would like to automagically setup my channels so that *anything*
>> recorded on *only* the HD channel will get transcoded down to SD
>> quality at best!  Is there are way to configure this in the channel
>> settings that I can't find or is it up to the person creating the
>> schedule to manually set the transcode job at the same time?
>
> System level fine detail might vary, but the general principles outlined
> here look promising.  <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=346778>

I don't think this is what Whytey was asking for.  Whether he uses a user job
or a normal transcode job to do the transcoding, I think what he wants is to
be able to configure some kind of rule that overrides individual programs'
transcode (or user job) settings based on the channel they were recorded from
or based on whether or not they were recorded in HD.  I've certainly not seen
any way to do that, though I may have missed something.

I suppose you could write a little script that runs periodically, scans the
database for scheduled HD recordings and updates their transcode setting.
Another possibility, perhaps a bit of a compromise, would be to transcode
everything to MPEG4 at SD resolutions and some reasonable bitrate.  This
should do the right thing for your HD recordings without damaging the quality
of your SD recordings much, and should save you some disk space to boot.

--
Peter Schachte              Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU            -- Oscar Wilde