[mythtv-users] OT: MythTV UPnP AV Media Center Server questions; DSM-320

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Mon Dec 10 21:09:26 UTC 2007

I picked up a DSM-320. Only $50 after rebate with free shipping so
figured it was worth a little risk. I did see that someone else had it
working, even though the wiki says not yet tested.

Anyway, I have tons of videos for the kids that are transcoded to
xvid/mp3 avi. The DSM-320 says it supports xvid, but will not play any
of them which really sucks...

The questions I really want to ask are about Myth's AV Media Center
server. The DSM-320 connects to my myth server without a problem. Going
to recordings isn't too bad finding what you want to watch, but going to
Videos stinks, at least in my case, since I have so many videos. (I
could certainly have less videos but that's a different discussion...)

Is there any way to better organize Videos? In mythvideo it's great
using the directory organization.

Also, as a test I transcoded a recording using mencoder but using mpeg4
instead of my usual xvid. I copied the newly created avi to both my
Videos and  Recordings. I still can't find it from the DSM-320 client.
Is there some kind of refresh that happens on the server before a client
will see it? Or should it be immediate?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
James