[mythtv-users] Fwd: which new OS for old frontend?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Mon Dec 10 17:28:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 22:30 -0700, Greg Woods wrote:
> Seems weird to call a system that was in perfect working order a month
> ago "old", but that's what I'm faced with.

I ended up installing FC8 and purchasing an adapter to convert VGA to
NTSC so that I don't have to mess around with TV out and the proprietary
driver. mythfrontend and lirc work well on FC8 and Myth compiles out of
the box once I have all the necessary libraries and -devel packages in
place.

The problem basically appears to be that the newer versions of the ATI
proprietary driver, including the one from which the Livna package was
created, do not support "older" chips like the Radeon 9100 IGP. The
built-in "radeon" driver does not support TV out, although it does
support my Radeon 9800 card on another system including 3D right out of
the box on FC8, so I don't have to use the proprietary driver there
either.

--Greg