[mythtv-users] seagate giving refunds out

Larry Sanderson larry.sanderson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 16:33:49 UTC 2007

On Monday 10 December 2007 09:50:52 am Fred Squires wrote:
> > They all are--because there's a difference between GB and GiB, and
> > the manufacturers know what it is.  Unfortunately, they're selling
> > to an uneducated public.
>
> It seems to me that the manufacturers probably made up the GiB so
> they could sell 466 GB drives as 500 GB and not technically lie.
> When was the GiB made up anyway, I've only seen it over the course of
> that last few years.

Do you also think that man has never set foot upon the moon?

I agree that the initial use of SI units was probably a marketing ploy,
but that ship sailed almost 2 decades ago.  Now all HD manufacturers
report their capacity in the same way, and it has become an industry
standard.  Can someone explain why Seagate was selected for a
class-action law suit, while Maxtor, Western-Digital, Hitachi, ... were
all left alone?  I wonder if their labeling was distinctly different
than the others.