[mythtv-users] Ideas for ITX front-end - HD/SD

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sun Dec 9 23:04:17 UTC 2007

Julien Fourgeaud wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2007 5:42 AM, Paul Bender <pebender at san.rr.com
> <mailto:pebender at san.rr.com>> wrote:
>
>     My latest frontend is built around the ASUS M2NPV-VM
>     <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131014>. I
>     use
>     it for playing back SD and HD. I have connected it using both S-VIDEO
>     (to an SDTV) and DVI-D (to an HDTV). For SPDIF, I got the SPDIF bracket
>     from ASUS, which supports both coax and optical connections. Of course,
>     it has USB and Ethernet.
>

> Hey Paul, which processor are you running on that board?
> Have a Sempron 3400+ and it doesn't seem to be enough to play HD..

I have been using an AMD Athlon64 3200+ with no problems. However, I
believe that AMD has discontinued their single core Athlon64 line,
absorbing it into the Sempron. I suspect the AMD Sempron LE-1150 would
work fine because it has specifications that are similar to mine, but I
have not tried it.

Also, I use mine in a frontend only configuration. Therefore, it has
lower I/O requirements.

> Otherwise I would also recommend that motherboard, have it in a Antec
> Fusion.
> Then enclosure is really quiet even with 2xHD.
> Can barely hear it.

I have it in an Antec Fusion case as well, but without hard disks since
it is a network booting frontend.