[mythtv-users] Audio problems (yup, another one of those)

David Falkayn davidfalkayn at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 9 05:07:14 UTC 2007

I have read through the manual and some different how-tos and still haven't been able to get the audio to work as it should with my Winfast TV2000/XP Deluxe tuner.  I'm not sure what other cards are like to know where I should be looking for a solution.  I'm running Mythbuntu 7.10 on a Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2 board (it has the Realtek ALC889A chip).

The card has to be patched in to the line in of the audio card to work in Windows.  After reading the manual, it sounds like that is fairly normal for analog tuners.  The problem I'm having is that if I unmute Line I get the audio whether the TV is displaying or not, and it's live, not part of the timeshifted video.  If I mute the Line channel, there is no audio at all.  I tried running alsamixer -V all and it isn't clear how to set the line as "captur" (there are three "captur" channels after the Line).  I tried unmuting all captur channels and raising the volume.  I tried running awtv and then using aplay as described in the manual, but there was no output on that device.

So, I'm not sure if this is a problem unique to the tuner, the integrated audio, or both.  I haven't been able to get the remote to work at all, so that had me thinking it was the card for a while.  Now, I'm not sure.

It works fine in TVtime and other TV viewing programs.

I appreciate any help.