[mythtv-users] Expanded options for commercial flagging

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Dec 8 23:12:44 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/07/2007 10:31 PM, jedi wrote:
>>     Has anyone thought to make the commercial
>> autoskip features more sophisticated than
>> a single global flag? In my own experience I've
>> seen quality of commflagging vary greatly by
>> channel. Now I would love to have skipping set
>> automatically for those programs/recordings/
>> channels that work well.

> More appropriate, IMHO, in the playgroup settings.  See Kevin Kuphal's
> thread, "RFC: Expanded playgroup settings," on -dev list.

The idea of being able to override (or not) more settings, such as comm
skipping, per recording is really good.  But I'm not sure play groups are
quite the right place for that, since a recording can only have one play
group.  The problem is that playback speed doesn't have much to do with comm
skip setting, so if I have 4 or 5 different playback speeds and 2 different
comm skip settings, then I need to have 8 or 10 different play groups to
cater for all combinations.  And if you specify skip and jump amounts, that
makes it worse, too.

If a recording were allowed to specify any number of play groups, then we'd
add instead of multiplying the number of play groups needed.  Better still if
more of the settings that can be controlled at playback time could be pre-set
in the playback group.  The only trick is working out the order in which to
apply the play groups in case some of the settings from one play group
override settings of another, but I think that could be handled.

--
Peter Schachte              I worry that 10 or 15 years from now, [my child]
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you