[mythtv-users] OT: Can't forward server logs from my backend to Gmail

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 22:17:47 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I know this is not quite the right place to ask my question; but it's
a MythTV backend, and this is the only place I could think of.  Let me
know if there are more suitable places to ask.

I have a MythTV-0.20.2 backend running Fedora 7.  I have the root
account set to forward all of its email to my gmail.com account, and
then everyday I check through it to monitor my mythbackend (free
space, hack attempts, etc.).

For years and years, that set-up worked fine, and everyday, the logs
would get emailed to my Gmail account.  However, recently, Gmail has
been rejected the forwarded messages with:

Deferred: Connection timed out with gsmtp163.google.com.
Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
Will keep trying until message is 5 days old

... and then every two weeks or so, my Gmail account would get flooded
with dozens of the backlogged messages all coming through at once.

Any idea what's going on there?  Or where is a better place for me to
post to get an answer to this question?

Thanks!