[mythtv-users] 4:3cco MPEG2->MPEG2 transcoding

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Fri Dec 7 20:52:35 UTC 2007

On Friday 07 December 2007 03:36:48 Darren Hart wrote:
> Is it possible to have mythtv automatically crop all my 4:3 content as it
> is being recorded and transcode it into a 16:9 stream?  I use PVRx50 cards
> and my frontend is a media mvp, so the resulting stream must still be
> mpeg2.

AFAIK, MythTV doesn't support this option directly; however, you can call an
external transcoding script. Both ffmpeg and mencoder support cropping
videos, so you could write a script that does the job and then call it after
your show is recorded.

Unfortunately, figuring out all the options can be tricky. If you'd like to
see a sample, check http://www.rodsbooks.com/mytranscode. This is a script I
wrote to help me get recordings in shape for burning to DVD. It's unsuitable
as-is because it requires run-time interaction -- rather than take a bunch of
command line options, it asks you questions about what you want to do when
you run the program. (You do have to pass it the input and output filenames
on the command line, though.) You could probably modify the script by nailing
down certain options to what you want; or you could wrap this script in
another one that passes options via stdin redirection. Either way, you'd also
want to perform some move/rename operations and have MythTV do a lossless
transcode when you're done, otherwise it'll get confused.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com