[mythtv-users] 4:3cco MPEG2->MPEG2 transcoding

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Dec 7 19:06:19 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/07/2007 03:36 AM, Darren Hart wrote:
>> Is it possible to have mythtv automatically crop all my 4:3 content as it is
>> being recorded and transcode it into a 16:9 stream?  I use PVRx50 cards and
>> my frontend is a media mvp, so the resulting stream must still be mpeg2.
>>
>> I can zoom in on the video with the TV, but that forces the media mvp osd off
>> screen, and switching back and forth is just annoying.  If I could transcode
>> all my content to 16:9 (cropped 4:3) I can just leave the TV in 16:9 mode and
>> get on with it.
>
> Nope.  You'll have to transcode afterwards, but doing so in Myth will
> put it into, i.e. MPEG-4, in an NUV container, so that probably won't
> work for you.
>
> In the future, we will have the ability to transcode into additional
> formats, including MPEG-2 in an MPEG Systems Program Stream, so... Chris
> Pinkham is working on the changes, but there is a lot of work involved,
> so don't expect it soon (perhaps not even for 0.21).

Good. Although I understand the original reasons for using the .nuv format I
find it very limiting, ie it's difficult to play/manipulate later (using
non-myth tools). Yes, I know I am lazy and the proper tools probably exist, but
I don't have them available to use right now.

It always seemed odd to me that an incoming mpeg2 stream couldn't be output as
mpeg2, it had to end up as nuppelvideo.

With regard to Darren's problem, why can't one specify in the front end that the
output device is 16:9 (or whatever) and that anything sent to it should be
mapped into that format? Or is there some kind of interaction with the video
graphics driver which might prevent that?

Mike Perkins