[mythtv-users] Kernel 2.6.22, IVTV 1.0.0, and PVR-350

Chuck Filson mythtv at goodeid.com
Fri Dec 7 03:52:59 UTC 2007

On Thursday 06 December 2007 19:31, scott at tbwifi.ca wrote:

> I don't think my problems are primarily distro related however.  I suspect
> I am stuck with a kernel version that needs a couple of tweaks related to
> the Myth version (likely an SVN version), an IVTV patch or update, and
> some other things.  If anyone has some pointers I would love to hear it.
> Please don't just toss my post aside becuase it contains the word
> Mandriva.
>
> Thanks Gang!
> I'll beat this thing yet.
> Scott

Perhaps your problems are related to the 64 bit versions of Mandriva that you
have tried.

I currently run 3 PVR150 cards under Mandriva 2007.1 ( 2.6.17 kernel ) and the
only change from the initial install was to update IVTV from 0.7.0 to 0.7.4.
This update eliminated a tinny audio sound from all three cards.

I haven't tried IVTV under Mandriva 2008 (2.6.22 kernel ) yet as that backend
only deals with an HDHomerun for now. But the rest of Mythtv runs just fine.

I am currently running Mythtv svn 14488 ( 0.20.20070821-1 ) but this move to
svn was strictly for Mythtv functionality and had nothing to do with IVTV or
recording.

One thing to watch for if you compile IVTV is that the new modules are loaded
instead of the originals. The compile and make will likely put the new
modules into the  /lib/modules/2.6.17-5mdvcustom/... hierarchy. While the
originals will be in the /lib/modules/2.6.17-5mdv/kernel/3rdparty/ivtv/...
hierarchy and gzipped.

I renamed the original modules then gzipped the new ones and put them into the
original directories. On the next boot the new moodules were loaded. There
are no entries in /etc/modprobe.conf but there is an ivtv entry for each
PVR150 in /etc/modprobe.preload as well as in /etc/modules. I did not put
these entries in place, so something like the hal daemon must have done it.

Dmesg will show the newer IVTV version when the machine boots. If not the
original modules instead of the new ones are still loading.

Hope this helps

Chuck