[mythtv-users] OT: Increasing Console Buffer Size in Fedora

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Dec 7 03:04:50 UTC 2007

On Dec 6, 2007, at 11:57 AM, R. G. Newbury wrote:

> f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>>> Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 10:59:15 -0500
>>> From: "R. G. Newbury" <newbury at mandamus.org>
>>
>>> I want to increase the size of whatever it is that keeps console
>>> screen
>>> output so I can scroll back "further in time" in the output.
>>
>> Can't you just use "script", run whatever it is, type ^D, and then
>> look at the resulting output file?  Or inside an Emacs shell buffer?
>> Or is the problem that this is happening on boot and output is being
>> written to the physical console but not put into dmesg or something?
>>

> Wow yet *another* way to skin this cat. I will have to play with
> 'script'..Never even heard of it before.
>
> The problem is/was that mfdb sends voluminous output to stdout when it
> cannot write to a temp file...So much so that the desired output is
> pushed out of the buffer. This output does NOT show up in mfdb's
> logfile
> (unless I used the wrong switches..that's possible and I will check.)

Could you redirect the output to a file?  You might need to redirect
both stdout and stderr.  If you're using bash as your shell, add this
to the end of the mythfilldatabase command line:
  >output.txt 2>&1

The first part redirects stdout to a file.  The second one tells the
shell to combine stdout and stderr together.