[mythtv-users] Mythfilldatabase temporary tables do not exist.

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Dec 6 19:41:22 UTC 2007

David Shay wrote:
> On 12/5/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>> I am stumped by this one.
>> Mythfilldatabase runs and produces temporary files in a
>> /tmp/mythtv_xxxxxx  (ignoring the my.cnf "tmp=/tmp/mysql" directive ??)
>> But mfdb cannot record the data as the "dd_xxxxx" tables do not exist.

>> Geoff

> Weren't you having some other problems with temporary tables back a few
> weeks ago?  Something tells me you need to do a reinstall of mysql after
> wiping away all configuration.  Something is seriously hosed in your mysql
> setup.

Yup, that was me. And why it appeared I had fixed it, when it was not, I 
do not know. It worked at least once, from the command line then..but 
did not the day before yesterday. I updated to SVN 15059 on the 
off-chance of fixing it (but without hope that it actually would) before 
commencing to find a fix.

WAF factor says ya gotta do this when the other half does NOT want to 
watch TV .and. when the box is not recording... 7 a.m. sound good?

However, the problem is no solved (I think, crossing my fingers).

Since I had done NOTHING to mysql, the error was unlikely to be there, 
and in a way, it was not.

As noted in the SOLVED message. I created a /tmp/mysql folder, owned by 
mysql. I corrected my.cnf by removing the spaces on either side of the 
equals sign in 'tmpdir=/tmp/mysql' and restarted mysqld.

Mysql's error log said that /usr/local/libexec/mysqld could not find the
"./mysql/host.frm" file.It was clearly not in the correct place, so I 
added a 'cd /var/lib/mysql' into the /etc/init.d/mysql script, just 
before the actual execution of /usr/bin/mysql.

Problem solved....Mfdb now updates etc. etc.

Exactly WHY mythtv stopped doing what it had been doing (working!) and 
started doing something else (not working) is unknown and seriously weird!

The last problem was actually part of my attempted fix. Since mysql was 
failing apparently due to the pid file, I substituted in the actual file 
  names to the mysql invocation instead of --datadir="$datadir" etc. I 
think that actually broke the function calls so that mysql was not "in" 
the correct place....

No difference now when I go back to the usual invocation.
cd /stor

       Tux says: "Be regular. Eat cron flakes."

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list