[mythtv-users] What's the point of MythTV HD?

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 00:22:38 UTC 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 6:30 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2007 5:04 PM, Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Same here.  Unfortunately you're correct though...as long as pay TV
> > > has been around everyone complains about it, yet nobody seems to be
> > > able to live without it, thus insuring that nothing will change.
> >
> > This is all well and good, but if you're in a fringe area like I am, OTA
> > is not a very good option.  Believe me, I'd like to tell Time Warner
> Cable
> > to shove their 5C as far up as it will go, and save $1200/yr in the
> > process, but then my Myth box would simply become a music server.
> >
> > Bob
> > --
>
> Very true...I'm lucky in that I'm between NY and Philly and can get
> both using a rotor...awesome for NFL football by the way.  It's easy
> for me to forget how many have a choice between pay TV and none.
>
> Having said that, virtually nobody I encounter in this area (where
> it's a great option) has a clue that you can even get HD TV on an
> antenna.  Most people look at my funny when I describe it.  The fact
> is that, at least around here, the DTV reception is way more reliable
> than the analog ever was.
>
> Tom

So true.  We had a party for the NCAA basketball championship and when
people saw it was in HD they couldn't beleave that I wasn't paying money for
the signal.  "So your antenna gets it off a satellite?  No?  So this is
through the cable company then?"  It took several minuets to convince some
people that TV stations still broadcast their signal free of charge.

There is absolutely nothing on cable right now that I regret not getting in
HD.  Maybe if Speedvision had Formula One or WRC in HD I would be upset.
But for now I am not impressed with the HD cable channels.  Though I would
have liked to watch Rome in HD.  But that was before I got the new TV.  So
there was no real issue at the time.