[mythtv-users] Parser for MythStream

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Dec 6 22:38:35 UTC 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 2:55 PM, Josh <TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com> wrote:

>  It only took me about 20 minutes to write the parser (they are written in
> perl). I think the biggest thing is that on 9.5/10 sites if you "scrape"
> the stream URL from the content of the site you're violating the ToS or T&C
> (Terms & Conditions). On the contrary, sites that provide an API for there
> streaming content ( http://youtube.com/dev) are permitted.

I was thinking about this today and remembered that MythTV has support for a
"Freebox" recorder which is a video over IP service in France (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/FreeBox).   My understanding of it is
that in a simple way, you can serve up a playlist.m3u file containing a list
of RTSP streams (or UDP I think with trunk) and have those as channels on an
IP capture card in Myth.

The Youtube link made me think that you can very easily (and even easier or
more dynamically with a little work) serve up Youtube videos using this same
method.  Depending on how dynamic the channel information is, you could
essentially have a YouTube channel on the Freebox recording input that you
change the RTSP stream on via configuration, record it, and then view the
output as you would Live or recorded TV.  I know also that VLC has been used
quite a bit with this recorder so you put that in the mix and you could get
very good integration with Myth on the recording/scheduling level (at least
of video) while avoiding many of the issues presented.  I would think that
if you could generate a dummy video stream of blank content with a music
soundtrack, you could also easily create your own music channels this way.

Kevin