[mythtv-users] Parser for MythStream

Josh TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com
Thu Dec 6 20:55:38 UTC 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 3:34 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2007 2:40 PM, Josh <TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com> wrote:
>
> > I wrote a parser for MythStream that gives you access to the streaming
> > media on www.clevelandbrowns.com so if there are any Cleveland Browns
> > fans reading this list, let me know and I'd be happy to post my parser for
> > you to use. I might be able to adapt this parser for some other teams if
> > they offer streaming media from there site... let me know.
> >
> > Josh
> > TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com

> Off topic, there are a TON of scripts for XBMC that let me stream
> different sites to my xbox.... Why do so few exist for myth? Is it harder to
> implement than XBMC (which uses Python scripts)? Is it just a lack of
> interest, perhaps, or worst case, are there copyright issues? Josh, was it
> difficult for you to write that parser?

> It only took me about 20 minutes to write the parser (they are written in
perl). I think the biggest thing is that on 9.5/10 sites if you "scrape" the
stream URL from the content of the site you're violating the ToS or T&C
(Terms & Conditions). On the contrary, sites that provide an API for there
streaming content ( http://youtube.com/dev) are permitted.

You bring up a good point for general conversation... why is it that when I
go to my girlfriends Uncle's house where he runs on Windows Media Center he
has like 100 plug-ins for it that enables everything he could ask except one
to flush his commode (http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/20347.aspx).
Is there a reason there is so much interest in writing plug-ins for MCE over
Myth? IMHO MythTV beats out MCE on all phases of what someone should expect
from a Media Center... I evaluated both (including BeyondTV and SageTV) for
months before I finally settled on Myth (little over 2 years ago).

Josh