[mythtv-users] LiveTV Viewer Replacement?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Dec 6 04:53:27 UTC 2007

On Dec 5, 2007, at 7:54 PM, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:

> Is it possible to plug some other viewer in as a LiveTV replacement?
> Because the slowness of switching livetv channels is killing my WAF -
> she's a chronic channel flipper.

Add a new menu item to watch live tv without PVR functionality. This
is how:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Menu_theme_development_guide
There's a section at the bottom specifically for this:
EXECTV someprogram %s %s %s - Executes a TV program. %s args are
video, audio, and vbi devices
Example: EXECTV xawtv -f -device %s -dspdev %s -vbidev %s

> I'm happy to dedicate a DVB tuner for LiveTV viewing if thats what
> it takes.
>

> However I guess an external app would loose integration with the OSD/
> EPG
>
> etc.

Correct. "etc." means you also lose all PVR functionality.