[mythtv-users] OT: new to logical volumes and LVM

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Wed Dec 5 09:41:47 UTC 2007

Hi Marc

Do a search for the LVM howto. It is an excellent document. Essentially
what happens is that partitions on the disks are formatted as LVM
partitions (not ext3) and LVM is used to join those partitions together
into a logical large device. You can then allocate areas of it in to
virtual partitions and then format those as ext3 or riser or whatever
you require. This is a very simple, and inaccurate, explanation, the LVM
howto is much better and clear.

LVM is a very powerful tool, but use it with care as a single dead disk
in a LVM set, made from many disks, brings the whole thing down. Most
people get round this by setting up RAID devices first and then put LVM
over the top of the raids.

I hope that helps

Ken

Marc Barrett wrote:
> I have two partitions which I would like to logically join so I can
> use them as a single directory, mounted as /myth.  I have a lot
> of experience with partitioning hard drives and such under Linux,
> but I am fairly new to logical drives and LVM, especially under
> Linux.
>
> My setup is a knoppmyth system, which automatically configured
> my main drive hda as three partitions, for root, swap, and /myth.
> I also have a second hard drive in the system, which has a
> Windows installation on it.  I used a Linux utility to shrink the
> NTFS partition, which resulted in a second partition on that drive,
> which I formatted as ext3.  To make a long story short, I would
> like to logically join hda3 and hdb2 as a single logical partition,
> and mount it as /myth so my existing knoppmyth setup can use
> it for recordings.  I would appreciate it if someone could give
> me some tips on how to do this.

believed to be clean.